Neurology is a branch of medicine that focuses on the research and treatment of diseases of the nervous system. Nervous system comprises a sophisticated and sophisticated system that controls and coordinates the body’s actions. It is divided into two main sections:
- Central nervous system spinal cord and brain
- Peripheral nervous system: All other neural components like the ears, eyes skin, eyes, and various “sensory receptors”
A doctor with a specialization in neurology is known as neurologists. The neurologist is a specialist in treating conditions that affect the spinal cord, brain and nerves, for example:
- Cerebrovascular diseases, like stroke
- Desmyelinating disorders of the central nervous system like multiple sclerosis
- Headache disorders
- Brain and the peripheral nervous system
- Movement disorders, like Parkinson’s disease, are common.
- Neurodegenerative diseases, like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease and Amyotrophic Lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Seizure disorders, such as epilepsy
- The spinal cord is a source of pain.
- Disorders of speech and language
Neurologists don’t perform surgery. When one of their patients needs surgery, they will refer to an neurosurgeon.