Dr. Vasundhara Saha is a Rehabilitation and Pain Management Specialist Physician. After graduating from B. J. Medical College, Pune, she gained clinical and research experience in the field of Psychiatry and Medical Oncology (AIIMS, New Delhi). Following this, she pursued her MD in the Specialty of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PMR) aka Rehabilitation Medicine or Physiatry, from AIIMS, New Delhi. She received clinical education and worked under the mentorship of Dr. U. Singh (Former HOD, PMR, AIIMS New Delhi), and Dr. Sanjay Wadhwa (current HOD, PMR, AIIMS, New Delhi), who are esteemed names in the field of Rehabilitation Medicine in India. Along with Dr. U Singh and Dr. Sanjay Wadhwa, her research in the field was also mentored by Dr. Lalit Kumar (HOD, Medical Oncology, IRCH, AIIMS, New Delhi), who is again known for his supreme contributions in the field of Medical Oncology. Apart from an excellent mentorship, the patients and curriculum of AIIMS, New Delhi helped her gain excellency in her field of practice.
Following completion of her MD, she gained teaching and work experiences at AIIMS Delhi, Rishikesh and Jodhpur. Apart from medical rehabilitation, she also has an interest in the field of pain management and spiritual care. In all of her years of work at esteemed institutes, she had conducted many research projects pertaining to the field of medical rehabilitation, cancer rehabilitation, pain management and spiritual care.
After her work experiences at AIIMS, she stepped into private care, where she has been providing consultations, related to medical rehabilitation and pain management. During this period, she also gained further training of Fellowship in Pain Management, and certification in Palliative Care from AIIMS, New Delhi.
She continues to participate in academic activities and conferences in order to keep her updated with the current medical guidelines.
Dr. Vasundhara is a simple and humble person, whose intention is to heal, and only heal others. She applies various techniques (i.e. Medical, Psychological, and Spiritual) to impart the best of her services in the welfare of others. Her quest to help others for enhancing their quality of life (QOL), is what motivates her to keep on enhancing her own expertise in the field she practices.
She treats the conditions requiring medical rehabilitation and pain management through medications; injection procedures for pain and spasticity management; physiotherapy and occupational therapy techniques required for rehabilitation and improvement in functioning; lifestyle and psychological counselling, as well as hypnotherapy where required.
• Pain management and Ultrasound guided intervention procedures of the spine, axial and peripheral joints, tendons, muscles, nerve blocks, regenerative and proliferative therapy, botulinum toxin (botox) injections.
• Paediatric neuro-rehabilitation (eg., Cerebral Palsy, Myelomeningocele (MMC), CTEV or Club Foot, Muscular Dystrophy eg., DMD, BMD etc, and Myopathies etc).
• Neuro-rehabilitation in Brain injury, Stroke, Spinal cord injury, and other neurological conditions).
• Amputee rehabilitation (Artificial limb, stump care and training).
• Cancer Rehabilitation
• Cardio-Pulmonary rehabilitation
• Geriatric rehabilitation (for people >60 years of age)
• Musculoskeletal rehabilitation (Medical and rehab management for spine, joint, muscle, and bone disorders).
• Rheumatological disorders management (eg., Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Gouty arthritis, Ankylosing spondylitis, Osteoarthritis etc).
• Osteoporosis and other metabolic bone disease management.
• Foot disorders management.
Research conducted and Publications:
➢ Post traumatic growth and its association with functioning and quality of life in patients with spinal cord injury. Departmental research project, AIIMS, New Delhi. Principal Investigator.
➢ Needs and experiences of patients with chronic pain with respect to spirituality and rehabilitation. Departmental research project, AIIMS, New Delhi. Principal Investigator.
➢ Spirituality in health care: the perspectives of rehabilitation medical professionals of an Indian apex tertiary care institute. Departmental research project, AIIMS, New Delhi. Principal Investigator.
➢ Quality of life in patients with multiple myeloma: Early rehabilitation is need of the hour. Departmental research project, AIIMS, New Delhi. Principal Investigator.
➢ Total care in multiple myeloma: Are we lagging behind? Principal author.
Lectures as Guest Faculty:
➢ Awareness sessions on “Work related musculoskeletal disorders and biomechanics” at AIIMS, New Delhi.
➢ Lecture for AIIMS MBBS students on “Early interventions in rehabilitation”.
➢ Lecture for AIIMS MBBS students on “Therapeutic exercise”.